We’ve reached the midpoint of Scrabbuary and things are starting to get heavy. I think 6 out of the 14 games have come to conclusion while the three most-recent games are very much in their infancy. Additionally, all of my recent talking about Scrabble appears to put a big bulls-eye on my back as I’ve received invites to games from no less than two people with which I have never traded tiles. If memory serves, those new games are not going well for yours truly.
Based on the recommendations of y’all and a few strangers on the internet, I have ordered and am awaiting on the arrival on a handful of dead tree guides:
- The Brewmaster’s Bible
- Beginning iPhone 4 Development
- Microsoft .NET: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise
The book on .NET I ordered for work. Things are starting to cool off and it’s starting to look like I’ll have time to do my complete re-write of the software for our flagship product. This is something I’ve wanted to do for the last two years since I took over this position but there just hasn’t been time. I’ve been able to do a little tinkering, but I really haven’t had the chance to really get started. But now may be the time. Exciting.
Friday it looks like I may be making a trip to a brewing supply store here in Columbus. I didn’t even realize we had such things. I’m excited to get a feel for what this is going to entail and hope that my books arrive with time for me to skim a few chapters before jumping in.
I just finished taking apart and reassembling a 5-disc DVD player/receiver that I’ve recently come into possession of. It was provided as broken and despite my previous trepidations about doing such things, I opened the thing up to see if I could fix it. In spite of my degree in Computer Engineering, I actually don’t believe myself capable of doing that kind of tinkering crap you’d think would be a staple of my mental toolkit. But the thing was free and I was bored so we’re looking at a zero-loss game. And, hey! Look at that. It’s working. I can’t say in any certain terms what was wrong with it, but after I had the thing in a couple dozen pieces and had a theory on how it should have worked, everything just went back together after a few false starts and then the thing just worked. So! Fair play to me. It was a home-theater in a box kit, so of course all of the speaker cable connectors are proprietary (and many missing) so maybe this weekend project will opening the thing back up and soldering my own connectors on there. What the hell.
OK! That’s all for now and probably more than you have come to expect.